Ph. D. Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California, 1974
Specialization: Control Systems and Computers
M. S. Applied Mathematics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
M. S. Electrical Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles
Specialization: Computer and Control Systems
B. S. Electrical Engineering, Punjab University, India
Specialization: Power Systems
September 1975-Present: Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Department of Electrical Engineering, California State University, Fullerton.
Spring 1995: Visiting Professor, College of Engineering, University of California, Riverside, Department of Electrical Engineering. Spring 1995 through August 15, 1995, while on Sabbatical Leave
Fall 1987: Visiting Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of California, Irvine, while on Sabbatical Leave
June 1980-August 1987: Chair and Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, California State University, Fullerton.
Kymeta Corporation (Kalman Filtering Consultant Associates)
Geodetics (Kalman Filtering Consultant Associates) 2008-2011.
Northrop Corporation, North American Rockwell, Lockheed, Boeing, Singer,
Hughes, Raytheon, September 1975-January 2005.
Sr. Staff Scientist in Flight Guidance and Control Department, McDonnell Douglas Corporation, Long Beach, CA July 1970-September 1975, May 1968-August 1968
Electrical Engineer, Raymond Weiss Associates, Encino CA, August 1963-September 1964:
Expert Witness, Patent Review
Cooley LLP. Area of Kalman filtering, Patent analysis. CyWee Group Ltd. v. Apple Inc., Case No. 3:14-cv-01853-HSG. January 2016 to present.
Covington & Burling, LLP. Elbit Systems of America, LLC vs Thales Visionix, Inc., March 2015 to present.
GPS Positioning and Application, Florida vs. Griss, 2008-2010.
Patent Review (GPS), WilmerHale, BroadCom, 2007.
· Invited Tutorial: “Application of Kalman Filtering to GPS, INS, & Navigation,” Esterline CMC Electronics, Montreal Canada, June 2015.
· Invited Tutorial: “Application of Kalman Filtering to GPS, INS, & Navigation,” Boeing Aerospace, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 2014.
· Instructor: “Application of Kalman Filtering to GPS, INS, & Navigation,” sponsored by Kalman Filtering Consultant Associates. NASA Dryden (2006), Edwards AFB (2008, 2007, 2006, 2005), NAWCWD, China Lake, CA (2004), and private companies. Attended by over 2000 engineering professionals (local, national and international) from private and government sectors, 1997-present.
· Invited Tutorial: “Fundamentals of Kalman Filtering for Navigation,” IEEE ION PLANS, 2014, 2012.
· Invited Tutorial: “Kalman Filtering For GPS/INS Integration,” IEEE ION PLANS, 2012.
· Invited Tutorial: “Applications of Kalman Filtering--1960 to Present,” with Angus P. Andrews, Joint Conference of the IEEE International Frequency Control Symposium & European Frequency and Time Forum, May 1-5, 2011.
· Invited Tutorial: “Fundamentals of Kalman Filtering and Applications to GNSS,” Joint Conference of the IEEE International Frequency Control Symposium & European Frequency and Time Forum, May 1-5, 2011.
· Invited tutorial: “Fundamentals of Kalman Filtering,” ION GNSS 2010, Sept. 21-24, 2010, 50th Anniversary of Kalman Filtering.
· Invited presentation: “Kalman Filter Implementation with Improved Numerical Properties,” Geodetic Science and Electrical and Computer Engineering Joint Colloquium, Ohio State University, March 3, 2009.
· Tutorials: “Fundamentals of Kalman Filtering for GPS/INS Integration (Parts I and II),” ION GNSS Tutorials, 2007, 2008, 2009.
· Invited Instructor: “Advanced Kalman Filtering and Application to Navigation” course to University Of Calgary Ph.D. and master’s degree students and local professionals, Summer 2007.
· Lecture: “Integrity Improvement of GPS with Space Based Augmentation System (SBAS),” NASA Administrator’s Fellowship Program (NAFP) Regional Awareness Days, CSUF, October 20-21, 2004.
· Lecture: “Global Positioning Systems,” College of Engineering and Computer Science’s Technology Breakfast, November 12, 2002.
· Lecture: “Global Positioning System, GPS 101,” Conversations with Scholars Lecture Series, September 16, 2002, collaboratively sponsored by the CSUF Academic Advisement Center, the Career Planning and Placement Center (Student Affairs), and the Pollak Library.
· Poster Presentation: “Fullerton Day,” attended and made GPS poster presentation, 2000
· Lecture to High School Students: "GPS 101," Anaheim High School, Anaheim Union High School District, March 2000
· ECS Lecture Seminar: “Introduction to Global Positioning System (GPS),” December 6, 1999, California State University, Fullerton.
· Guest Faculty: Southern California Colloquium, sponsored by Young President’s Organization, California Institute of Technology Campus, May 20-21, 1999. Lecture on “Global Positioning System (GPS) and Kalman Filtering: Any Place-Right Place, Any Time-Right Time.” Selected as one of 65 professors from colleges and universities in Southern California to present the state of the art in GPS navigation.
· Tutorial: WESCON ‘98, Offered Kalman Filtering Application course, October 1998, Anaheim, CA.
· Seminar/Open House introducing GPS lab to School of Engineering and Computer Science, September 1998.
· Seminar: “Global Positioning System (GPS),” November 7, 1996, California State University, Fullerton, co-sponsored by IEEE Student Chapter, CSUF.
· Seminar: “Application of DGPS/INS to Automobile Navigation with Latency Compensation,” Boeing Company, Anaheim, CA, April 18, 1996.
· Colloquium: “Modeling and Parameter Identification,” University of California, Riverside, Computer Science Colloquium, March 13, 1995.
· IEEE Tutorial: “Kalman Filtering Technology and Techniques,” IEEE PLANS ‘90, Las Vegas, Nevada. Sponsored by IEEE Aerospace and Electronics Systems Society.
· Instructor, Professional Engineer, Engineer in Training courses at CSUF, from 1975-1989, 1996.
· Seminar: “Estimating Positioning Table Errors Using a Kalman Filter for High Accuracy Accelerometer Testing,” American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Technical Meeting for Guidance, Control and Dynamics, March 25, 1992.
· Seminar: “Inertial Navigation with Doppler Aid,” Lockheed engineers, scientists and managers, 1986
· Seminar: “Kalman Filtering,” Geodynamics, Santa Barbara, July 23, 1982.
· Seminar: “Signal Processing and Tracking,” Northrop engineers and scientists, 1982.
· Lecture: “The Real World and Kalman Filtering,”’ Sigma XI Club of CSUF, May 1980.
· Instructor: “The Real World and Kalman Filtering.” Initiated, edited, and published course materials, coordinator, lecturer, editor. Course presented at CSUF, January and September 1980, June 1981, January 1982, February 1983, February 1984 and February 1985. Presented on-site to Ford Aerospace (Irvine), Rockwell International (Anaheim), TRW (Redondo Beach), TRW (San Bernadino) and General Dynamics (Pomona).
· Lecture: “Modeling of Missile Suspension Systems.” Air Force Symposium, Ogden, Utah, October 4--5, 1979.
Technical Chair and/or Organizer
· Session Chair: “MEMS, Timing and Micro PNT Session,” January 29, 2014, 2014 International Technical Meeting of the Institute of Navigation (ION).
· Panel Moderator (and organizer): “50th Anniversary of Kalman Filtering.” ION GNSS 2010, September 23, 2010.
· Session Chair: “Application of Statistical Filtering to Navigation Technology.” Position Location and Navigation Symposium (PLANS), March 20-23, 1990, Las Vegas, Nevada, sponsored by IEEE Aerospace and Electronics Systems Society.
· Chair, Local Arrangements, 26th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, December 9-11, 1987, Los Angeles, California.
· Technical Program Chair: Applied Mathematics with Application to Engineering and Computer Science Symposium, Robotics. California State University, Fullerton, April 1985 Keynote Speaker was Dr. Susan Hackwood.
· Technical Program Chair: Applied Mathematics with Application to Engineering and Computer Science Symposium, Control Systems and Application. California State University, Fullerton, March 1982. Keynote Speaker was Dr. Rudy Kalman.
· Session Co-chair: “Aerospace and Marine Applications,” 21st IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Orlando, Florida, December 7-10, 1982.
· Treasurer: National Organizing Committee for the Sixth International Federation on Automatic Control (IFAC) Symposium on Identification and System Parameter Estimation (organized by the Control Systems Society of IEEE), Washington, D. C., June 7-11, 1982.
· Session Chair: “Identification and Estimation,” Optimization Days, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, May 23-25, 1979.
· Session Chair: “Estimation Theory,” International Symposium on Measurement and Control, Athens, Greece, June 26-29, 1978.
· Session Chair: “Estimation Theory,” First International Conference on Information Sciences and Systems, Patras, Greece, August 22-29, 1976.
Mohinder S. Grewal, Ph.D., P.E.
Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering